Friday, October 7, 2011

Bad Habits.

   "If you want to conquer fear, don't sit home and think about it.  Go out and get busy." Dale Carnegie

   I will admit that even though I have always been a very social person from youth, I did not have any real people skills to start with.  Being blessed over the years to have several people who saw potential in me and helped to coach, teach and guide me as I learn to communicate well with others.  There are times when the old, untrained, uninhibited self rears it's head.  I should be a stand up comedian during these episodes as it is a near perfect example of how to talk and not communicate.

   Last night while out with friends and acquaintances, I noticed for a short time that I had slipped back into old habits and became a fire hose of useless and only just possibly, interesting information.  I wish I could tell you why this happens.

   Each time this happens it is a great opportunity to learn. Fearing it doesn't help.  Facing it, gives me the ability to deal with it even better the next time and eventually, overcoming it completely is the end goal.

   "Continuous effort, not strength or intelligence, is the key to unlocking your potential." Winston Churchill

   It's a lot like learning to ride a bike or how to wind surf.  You create habits or what some would call muscle memory to be able to then focus on the next task down the list until you have developed a set of skills that can accomplish what could not be done with only one skill by it'self.

   Perspective is this way as well.  You grow everyday in your understanding and can increase the horizons you have with your current perception by just pushing them a little bit each day.  Intentionally moving just a little outside of your comfort zone can do miracles if you will just go out and do it, consistently for a certain period of time until, it too becomes a habit that drives your growth.

  Today, my wish is to become just a little bit better at being able to interface and connect will all people and peoples.  I know there is a long way to go, yet I am convinced it is worth the discomfort of breaking down old belief systems and bad habits that have become our "comfort zone".

   My you find something worth overcoming today.  May you find reward in your efforts!

Peace to you and yours.

Billy B



No comments:

Post a Comment